Skip to Main Content


Q: How do I report a crime to the Sheriff's Office?

A: If the crime is "in progress," call 9-1-1. If the crime has already occurred and no immediate emergency exists, call (256) 574-2610 to request a Deputy come to your location and make an Incident Report. You may also come to the Sheriff’s Office located in the Jackson County Courthouse to make a report.

Q: How do I obtain a warrant?

A: Warrants are issued by the Circuit Clerks’ Office.  You must have first made an Incident/Offense report with a Sheriff’s Deputy, then take that report to the District Attorney's Office to request assistance with obtaining a warrant from the Clerk's Office.

Q: How do I obtain a protection order?

A: Protection from Abuse Orders (PFA) are issued by the Circuit Clerks’ Office.  If there has been an Incident report filed regarding the situation, it is helpful to obtain a copy of those reports to file along with your PFA application. There is an application packet that must be filled out in the Clerk's Office when attempting to obtain a PFA. If you need assistance filling out the packet, Crisis Services of North AL has individuals who can assist you. They can be reached at 256-574-5826.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my report? Is there a fee?

A: The person filing an Incident Report (the victim) is the only person who may obtain a copy of the report. Incident Report copies may be obtained at the Sheriff’s Office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on state holidays. The victim must present photo identification. There is no fee to obtain a copy of your report. 

Q: If I am having a person evicted from property I own or manage, are there any special requirements of me?

A: Here is the link for evicting a tenant in the state of Alabama.

Q: If I live in a state other than Alabama and want the Sheriff's Office to serve Civil Process papers on a resident of Jackson County, is there a charge?

A: Yes. There is a $25.00 fee per Civil Process paper. This fee should be sent to Jackson County Sheriff's Office 102 E Laurel Street Scottsboro, AL 35768 with each Civil Process paper along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for "Return of Service.

Q: Is the home address of the person to be served a Civil Process paper sufficient?

A: If you have an alternate place of service (work address, for example), it will be helpful and most expedient for you to include this information on the Civil Process paper to be served in addition to the home address.

Q: What are the types of bonds available for a person to use to be released from the Jackson County Jail?

A: A person may be released on his/her own recognizance, through a private bonding company, by the posting of a Property Bond or by posting a Cash Bond. Cash bonds can not be paid at the Jackson County Jail and must be paid at the JC Clerk's Office or the municipality owed. However, each individual’s bond varies according to the nature of the offense charged, and you should contact the Jackson County Jail @ 256-574-1884 to find out the exact type of bond required for a certain individual.  

Q: May I bring money to persons who are in jail?

A: Money may be deposited onto inmates books by the following ways:

  1. Depositing money into the kiosks located in the lobby of the Jackson County Jail. There are 2 separate kiosks, one for visits/telephone and one for commissary/store.
  2. Deposits may be made online at with a debit or credit card for the visit/telephone system. Viapath is our visit/telephone vendor.
  3. Deposits may be made online at for the commissary/store. Legacy is our store/commissary vendor.

Q: What are the visiting hours for persons who are in jail?

A: All inmate visits are done by video monitoring system. Visits may be scheduled daily from 9 a.m. til 9 p.m., with the exception of Friday which is 4 p.m. til 9 p.m. There are two ways to schedule an inmate visit. You may visit and create a login or sign into an existing account to schedule or visit the kiosk located in the lobby of the Jackson County Jail. Each inmate is allowed one free visit every 7 days. Additional visits can be purchased for (30 minute visit) $7.50 plus taxes and fees or $3.75 (15 minute visit). Visits need to be scheduled 24 hours in advance for secure confirmation.

Q: What should I do if I suspect someone is involved in selling or trafficking in drugs?

A: You may report your suspicions to the Sheriff’s Office by calling (256) 574-2610. Information given will be passed on to our Narcotics Division. You do not have to give your name when reporting your suspicions. 


Jackson County
Sheriff's Office

Scottsboro, Alabama

Submit Crime Tip
or Submit via Email

Emergency 911
Non-Emergency (24 hours)

Jail 256-574-1884

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
102 East Laurel St
Scottsboro, AL 35768