Memorial Day Safety Message
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office would like to remind everyone to stay safe and be responsible as we approach Memorial Day weekend. During this time of remembrance, it is important that we celebrate in a way that ensures the safety of our community.
If you plan on traveling during the holiday weekend, always follow traffic laws, never drive under the influence of drugs and alcohol, and be mindful of your surroundings.
Please keep in mind that as outdoor activities increase, possible driving distractions also increase. Distracted driving could be taking your eyes off the road, your hands off the wheel, or your mind off driving.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has the following tips for distracted driving:
- Do not multitask while driving (adjusting mirrors, selecting music, eating, making a phone call, or reading a text or email) - do it before or after your trip, not during.
- Get plenty of rest before getting behind the wheel and stop for frequent breaks to stretch, eat, etc.
- If you are a passenger in a car with a distracted driver, speak up and ask the driver to focus on driving.
- If you have a teen or young adult on the road, ensure they are familiar with the rules and responsibilities involved in driving.
- Reduce distractions for the driver by assisting with navigation or other tasks.
For more information on distracted driving, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Travel safely and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!
Sheriff Rocky Harnen